Pages

Saturday, May 9, 2009

If only

I was reading Wes Brown's blog, who happens to do great nighttime photography, very evocative and moody, when I saw he referenced a photo I love by Bill Henson.

Coupled with that, I was looking at some new work by my friend, Polixeni Papapetrou, who is an amazing photographer from Australia and Mr. Henson, again, came to mind.

Thus I thought it was fitting to post about him.

I have loved Mr. Henson's work from the first frame I saw. They are utterly unique in their sexuality, their melding of frames, their unexpected, beautiful points of light seething out from the darkness. He always takes my breath away.

He has a book I have wanted for ages, Lux et Nox, which now sells for over $1000. If you can find it to look through, it is beyond words. The blacks in the photo are fairly dense; it is a huge compendium of his work and completely inspiring.

Mr. Henson came under fire by the Australian government for his use of children in what was considered an "inappropriate fashion" (many of his images are of young, naked girls), which is ludicrous and sad.

I can only hope to one day own one of his works.

No comments: